Career dissatisfaction often comes from value conflicts. While you may seem successful to the rest of the world, if your job isn’t true to your inner values you can feel unhappy and empty inside.
Whether we realize it or not, our sense of harmony is when our values and our work come together. Career satisfaction comes from knowing who we are and what we want.
The complexity of today’s workplace makes career decision-making difficult. We need some criteria for our life choices, and often these criteria come from our values. Getting to the heart of the problem means taking a clear look at your innermost values.
Here are some important questions to ask yourself…
- What are your highest priorities at this point in your life?
- What elements in your work situation do you value most? And least?
- What role does money play in your life?
- Do you believe in the product, service or industry you’re engaged in?
- What is your definition of success?
- If you could imagine a perfect work-life, what would it look like?